Skip to main content

Lighting: Part 1

How often do you think about the quality of your lighting? It can make a big difference in the quality of your environment.

Lighting is mostly noticed when it is unwanted. There is little consideration given to the degree of quality in one's light source. As with most things, our attention is given to the liminal states. 

Direct vs. Indirect

Direct lighting proceeds directly from the source (bulb) to a surface without diffusion or reflection. Indirect lighting is diffusely reflected. As illustrated below.
Examples of direct and indirect lighting. Ensure the light source is pointed toward the ceiling, while the direct light above the experimental area is blocked. It is important to use indirect light during EPM experiments in order to similarly illuminate all four arms without shadows. Please click here to view a larger version of this figure.


The design of the pendant lamp below combines direct and indirect lighting. Light is projected directly downwards and reflected off the inner walls expanding the light's circumference of reach. The surface will be brightest directly below the lamp and further out it will soften. 

This kind of design can be useful. It might be great for a desk lamp, but in general, I prefer more diffusive light. Diffusion is accomplished through an opaque filter, like white plastic or frosted glass. The light seems to glow and projects softened light evenly across a wide surface area. This form of lighting is much gentler and warmer. Still, the quality of the diffusive material is important. Frosted glass has a much better effect than white plastic. The density of the glass is also important, along with its convexity.

 One of my favorite features of my condo is my Flos Glo-Ball (stock picture above). From the Flos website: "Jasper Morrison calls his designs “super normal,” meaning that they do their job well and without disrupting their environment. Designed to invoke the beauty of a full moon, the Glo Ball S proves just how stunning the norm can be." This is achieved by virtue of the way that the halogen bulb is suspended in the middle of a thick, frosted glass sphere. In this manner, the design avoids the inevitable glare that occurs when a bright bulb is placed too near to the diffusive material. By virtue of this distance, light seems to emanate gently in all directions, as if from a moon.

The light fills a room beautifully, evenly, and softly. The Glo-Ball is perfect for my dining room and it really highlights the beautiful food that my wife makes. After dinner, you can dim the lights (see below, this time a wall fixture) and enjoy a movie in the other room or listen to music, etc. In its dimmer settings, the color of the Glo-Ball moves towards a warm yellow/orange; very chic. 


For sconces, semi-indirect (below, left) would be nice in a hallway or dining room but in a family room such a light might grate if you were reclining on the couch. Then you would regret that bare bulb or LED shining in your eye. A diffusive option (below, to the right) seems, once again, to be a more graceful option.


For a reading lamp, you can go either way. Personally, I really like the Holtkotter FLEX LED Floor Lamp (see below). It has a flexible snake arm and it is the only LED lamp that I have found with the warmth and dimming quality of a halogen. Holtkotter used some special kind of plastic that gives just the right tint to the light. 


The lamp has a small button, which serves as a touch dimmer. Tap it once, to turn the light on or off. Hold it, and the lamp slowly dims or, with a successive hold, brightens, and by the subtlest of degrees. Its highest setting is unbelievably bright. Between the fully flexible neck and the rotation of the disk, it is the most versatile lamp that I have owned. 

LED is particularly important for hard-to-reach lights to minimize the frequency of bulb changes. 

Another tip: I like dusk to dawn hall lights, which I put in my bathrooms and kitchen. If you get up at night, they are already on because they are gradually activated by a light sensitivity reader as it gets darker. This way, when you get up to get water or go to the bathroom you don't have to worry about turning on the lights and irritating your "night vision." 



That's enough on lights for today...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terry Cloth and Tombolo

I am sorry to ask but do you remember Juicy Couture? They made terry cloth tracksuits popular (amongst teenage girls and soccer moms) when I was in high school, but they were completely garish. I shudder when I think about those outfits. I do not blame terry cloth itself, however. No, I have come to love terry cloth. Think instead of the thick, luxurious terry cloth robes and towels that have whisked away all of the moisture covering you. Let these happier memories return because terry cloth is perfect for lounging around and there is no shame in that! And why not embrace the poolside chic of terry cloth? Well, I did, once I saw my friend's "terry towelling" Orlebar Brown polo . They aren't cheap but they are incredibly comfortable and well-tailored.  The image above depicts their homage to James Bond's Dr. No shirt, From Orlebar Brown's website : "Imitate Bond’s beach style with this Seaweed towelling polo, originally worn in Dr. No (1962) when he first

On Leisure: Part 1

I am never less at leisure than when at leisure, nor less alone than when I am alone.  -Scipio Africanus It occurred to me that it might be well worthwhile to define what I mean by leisure . First and foremost, I think of the quote above. This sense of leisure reaches back to the Greeks and the concept of schole , as in school . Leisure, or schole, is associated with learning, self-cultivation, philosophy, and freedom. In this sense, " Leisure is not the cessation of work, but work of another kind, work restored to its human meaning, as a celebration and a festival ."  This conception of schole is represented in the notion of a Sabbath, a time set aside for contemplation and reflection. In an article titled, "Learning and Leisure: Developing a School of Schole," Christopher Perrin writes:  " In 1948 the German philosopher Josef Pieper wrote a small book (about 130 pages) entitled Leisure the Basis for Culture .  Classical educators need this book.  Pieper does

E95s: Love at First Touch

On March 31, 2020, I ordered an E95s from fast japan us on Amazon. It never came. I was finally able to submit a claim and get a refund a little while ago. What did I do? I ordered another one from a different company but this time I went with Burgundy. I first encountered the E95s at Anderson Pens in Chicago. I love this store and try to go whenever I am in Chicago. They have a wide selection of pens and inks and their salespeople are very helpful. When I asked an attendant what was popular these days, she pointed out the E95s. Instead, I got a mid-size Sailor 1911 with a Zoom nib (but that is a story for another day). I made a note to myself to look into the E95s in the future. Well, today it arrived and I had no way of anticipating how much I would like it. One thing that I especially love is the beautiful balance of its design. The cap serves as the body of the pen, making the capped pen very compact. Pilot notes this rerelease is based upon an original 1962 design and reflects t