Skip to main content

Fountain Pens

The renaissance of fountain pens might be compared to that of vinyl records in several ways. Both the fountain pen and the vinyl record were eventually felt to be obsolete technology. Nevertheless, each maintained a steadfast cult of aficionados. Additionally, like the vinyl revival, the fountain pen frenzy seems to be a response to the desire for a "hands-on experience" and a preference for quality over convenience. Fountain pen owners enjoy the experience of drawing ink into the pen, wiping the nib, etc. The appeal of multiple fountain pens relates to the variety of their nibs and one can affix different nibs to a given pen to customize the feel. In similar fashion, many people rotate between different phono cartridges to modify the sound of their system to taste.

The golden age of fountain pens occurred in the early 20th century and ended with WWII. I have read that many collectors focus on pens from the 1920-30's, which featured luscious gold nibs and luxurious materials throughout their construction. The Great Depression and WWII led to a scarcity of materials and an increase in prices and few of the pens from this period are deemed collectible (although there are minor exceptions, such as the Eversharp Skyline-see below). I was told anecdotally that the real downfall of fountain pens was brought about by carbon paper. 


Carbon paper required a greater amount of pressure to make an impression that would pass through several sheets. The fountain pen slipped into the shadows. Typewriters and computers must not have helped either. And yet...

Today, fountain pens are back in a major way but the variety of nibs is nothing compared to the golden days. In particular, flex nibs are much less prevalent. Flex nibs allow line variance with pressure and these are the source of those gorgeous calligraphic swoops and flourishes in letters of the past. The downside of flex nibs is that they require a slower and more deliberate writing pace and that they are more expensive because these nibs must generally be gold (steel does not flex well).

Filling Mechanisms 
While I love vintage pens, some downsides do exist. One must be careful about the condition of the pen, especially the nib when searching online. It is sad to try your new pen out for the first time only to discover that it is a raspy one that drags harshly across paper. Ink sacs might be considered another downside (they can break, leak, etc. and then you'll need a repair job). That being said, I have also been told that a good ink sac can last decades without having to be repaired. At any rate, modern pens generally feature converters that are replaceable (see below)


There are many different kinds of filling mechanisms, however. All of them rely on suction except for eyedropper pens. Converters generally feature a twist plunger. Other mechanisms include in-built plungers, which are associated with Pelikan (considered by many to bethe best FP manufacturer). These are my favorite. You twist a nob at the bottom (see below) to draw ink into the cylindrical body of the pen, which can hold much more ink than a converter.


Other mechanisms include vacuums (TWSBI VAC700R pen below):


The Parker Duofold is one of the most significant pens of all time and it uses a little button filler (see below):


The discoloration on the lower half of this pen is probably from UV exposure. 

In the End...

All of these different mechanisms and nibs make for a rich and engaging hobby. If it were not for the pandemic there would be a pen show in Saint Louis this weekend and I would have definitely been there. Oh well...

At any rate, here are some suggestions for those interested in getting in on this fun hobby:

Best value pen: TWSBI MINI ($50)-This pen is incredibly smooth and fits easily in the pocket. It is a demonstrator, meaning that it is transparent allowing you to see the ink inside (see below).



The Pilot Vanishing Point is another favorite. The name relates to the pen's retractable point. The design of this pen makes it easy to jot down some quick notes and then put it away without much to-do. It is also an incredibly smooth writer.

Ink

One of the best things about fountain pens is the ability to access a tremendous range of inks. Those who enjoy this sort of thing would do well to check out Goulet Pens. They have a great website with demonstrations of what inks look like on actual paper. Additionally, Goulet presents pretty extensive lists of technical specs for the pens that they sell.

Personally, I prefer the Noodler inks and my favorites are listed below. I love Sailor's beautiful inks but they are more expensive (my favorites are #743 and #761). I also like the Parker Quink inks, which are affordable and reliable. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terry Cloth and Tombolo

I am sorry to ask but do you remember Juicy Couture? They made terry cloth tracksuits popular (amongst teenage girls and soccer moms) when I was in high school, but they were completely garish. I shudder when I think about those outfits. I do not blame terry cloth itself, however. No, I have come to love terry cloth. Think instead of the thick, luxurious terry cloth robes and towels that have whisked away all of the moisture covering you. Let these happier memories return because terry cloth is perfect for lounging around and there is no shame in that! And why not embrace the poolside chic of terry cloth? Well, I did, once I saw my friend's "terry towelling" Orlebar Brown polo . They aren't cheap but they are incredibly comfortable and well-tailored.  The image above depicts their homage to James Bond's Dr. No shirt, From Orlebar Brown's website : "Imitate Bond’s beach style with this Seaweed towelling polo, originally worn in Dr. No (1962) when he first

On Leisure: Part 1

I am never less at leisure than when at leisure, nor less alone than when I am alone.  -Scipio Africanus It occurred to me that it might be well worthwhile to define what I mean by leisure . First and foremost, I think of the quote above. This sense of leisure reaches back to the Greeks and the concept of schole , as in school . Leisure, or schole, is associated with learning, self-cultivation, philosophy, and freedom. In this sense, " Leisure is not the cessation of work, but work of another kind, work restored to its human meaning, as a celebration and a festival ."  This conception of schole is represented in the notion of a Sabbath, a time set aside for contemplation and reflection. In an article titled, "Learning and Leisure: Developing a School of Schole," Christopher Perrin writes:  " In 1948 the German philosopher Josef Pieper wrote a small book (about 130 pages) entitled Leisure the Basis for Culture .  Classical educators need this book.  Pieper does

E95s: Love at First Touch

On March 31, 2020, I ordered an E95s from fast japan us on Amazon. It never came. I was finally able to submit a claim and get a refund a little while ago. What did I do? I ordered another one from a different company but this time I went with Burgundy. I first encountered the E95s at Anderson Pens in Chicago. I love this store and try to go whenever I am in Chicago. They have a wide selection of pens and inks and their salespeople are very helpful. When I asked an attendant what was popular these days, she pointed out the E95s. Instead, I got a mid-size Sailor 1911 with a Zoom nib (but that is a story for another day). I made a note to myself to look into the E95s in the future. Well, today it arrived and I had no way of anticipating how much I would like it. One thing that I especially love is the beautiful balance of its design. The cap serves as the body of the pen, making the capped pen very compact. Pilot notes this rerelease is based upon an original 1962 design and reflects t