Skip to main content

Road Trip Thoughts

 We just returned from an epic road trip. Over a month on the road, we briefly visited Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, and Colorado, and we got to spend some quality time in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico. We left on short notice and packed in one night. We did a lot right, but I would do a few things differently. 

Here are some thoughts and suggestions in no particular order:

  • HDMI cord and ethernet cords: We brought the former and forgot the latter. For security, I recommend that you bring an ethernet cable. If you have an ultrabook like me (no Ethernet port), you can get a USB to Ethernet converter. As for the HDMI cable, most hotels have TVs with accessible HDMI ports; just connect your laptop and stream away.
  • Binoculars: We visited a lot of National and State Parks during the migratory season for many animals. We forgot to bring binoculars! I picked some up at the Yellowstone General Store and boy was I glad. Still, I am sure that it would have been a lot cheaper if I had gotten them online (glad to support Yellowstone though). Get yourself a pair with quality lenses (Nikon).
  • Threshold speeds: Speeding doesn't get you there much faster at all. Seriously, look at your ETA in Google Maps-maybe you'll save 30 minutes over an all-day drive. Best not to speed, but if you do, stay below the thresholds, 10, 15, 20, etc. At 20 MPH over, you are a big red target asking for remedial driving school and a huge ticket. At 9 MPH over, it is highly unlikely that you will be pulled over.
  • Tidal: I love Tidal, the highest quality music streaming service. Driving in the mountains, we often lost connection, but each night, I tweaked my MQA quality downloaded content. and so I was ready.
  • Dynaudio Music 3: At this point, I am quite sure that Dynaudio produces among the best all-in-one audio systems. Sadly, their software seems to be lacking but this little speaker was so clutch during this trip. I connected my iPhone X to the USB port/DAC through a Lightning USB cable. and it sounded great. I was so pleased with its battery life and the quality of the sound. Highly recommend!
  • Layering: Bring different weights of clothing. It was in the 80s when we left but it fell below freezing within weeks in some locations. We had to buy new Winter clothing. You never know...
  • Knife: Once again, you never know; needed for opening packages, boxes, sandwiches, etc. 
  • Crazy Creek: A very light and flexible chair that is excellent for short or even longer hikes. Some people also use them as sleeping pads.
  • Kindle Oasis: I brought a ton of books with me from Saint Louis and ended up paying USPS to ship many of them back. I needed room to buy more books, ha. But really, I should have just brought a few, bought a few more, and relied on my trusty Kindle Oasis. The Oasis can carry more books than you can probably read in a lifetime. Also, it's very water-resistant so you can dip it in the hot tub without concern.
  • Pen and paper: I didn't find as much time to write as I had hoped but I was focused on primary experiences. When I had time, it was so relaxing to take some time to reflect in scribble in a notebook or to do some drawings. 
  • Water bottles: I bought large packs of bottled water and made sure to keep a good number in the car. Usually, I just take my handy MIRA water bottles, but it was very handy to have these ready to go for spontaneous day hikes. Plus, with COVID, there are far fewer places to refill your water bottle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terry Cloth and Tombolo

I am sorry to ask but do you remember Juicy Couture? They made terry cloth tracksuits popular (amongst teenage girls and soccer moms) when I was in high school, but they were completely garish. I shudder when I think about those outfits. I do not blame terry cloth itself, however. No, I have come to love terry cloth. Think instead of the thick, luxurious terry cloth robes and towels that have whisked away all of the moisture covering you. Let these happier memories return because terry cloth is perfect for lounging around and there is no shame in that! And why not embrace the poolside chic of terry cloth? Well, I did, once I saw my friend's "terry towelling" Orlebar Brown polo . They aren't cheap but they are incredibly comfortable and well-tailored.  The image above depicts their homage to James Bond's Dr. No shirt, From Orlebar Brown's website : "Imitate Bond’s beach style with this Seaweed towelling polo, originally worn in Dr. No (1962) when he first

On Leisure: Part 1

I am never less at leisure than when at leisure, nor less alone than when I am alone.  -Scipio Africanus It occurred to me that it might be well worthwhile to define what I mean by leisure . First and foremost, I think of the quote above. This sense of leisure reaches back to the Greeks and the concept of schole , as in school . Leisure, or schole, is associated with learning, self-cultivation, philosophy, and freedom. In this sense, " Leisure is not the cessation of work, but work of another kind, work restored to its human meaning, as a celebration and a festival ."  This conception of schole is represented in the notion of a Sabbath, a time set aside for contemplation and reflection. In an article titled, "Learning and Leisure: Developing a School of Schole," Christopher Perrin writes:  " In 1948 the German philosopher Josef Pieper wrote a small book (about 130 pages) entitled Leisure the Basis for Culture .  Classical educators need this book.  Pieper does

E95s: Love at First Touch

On March 31, 2020, I ordered an E95s from fast japan us on Amazon. It never came. I was finally able to submit a claim and get a refund a little while ago. What did I do? I ordered another one from a different company but this time I went with Burgundy. I first encountered the E95s at Anderson Pens in Chicago. I love this store and try to go whenever I am in Chicago. They have a wide selection of pens and inks and their salespeople are very helpful. When I asked an attendant what was popular these days, she pointed out the E95s. Instead, I got a mid-size Sailor 1911 with a Zoom nib (but that is a story for another day). I made a note to myself to look into the E95s in the future. Well, today it arrived and I had no way of anticipating how much I would like it. One thing that I especially love is the beautiful balance of its design. The cap serves as the body of the pen, making the capped pen very compact. Pilot notes this rerelease is based upon an original 1962 design and reflects t