Skip to main content

Collections


What defines a collection? A collection is cumulative and consists of objects that have been systematically obtained. A good collection is more than the sum of its parts. The interrelationships of the objects is mutually informing. It is all a matter of harmony. It keeps one busy! 

I think of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron, working out for him was a constant pursuit of harmony. When he exercised one part of his body, he had to compensate for it. This need for balance is present in many collectors too. They want to achieve a representative sample of a given series. Oftentimes, they want to focus on something that they perceive as underappreciated. 

At other times, collecting is less about achieving totality than variety. This is the aspect that I find to be most fruitful. It is not a matter of "catching them all" but of circulation. The desire to collect can easily arrive on the tails of boredom. On the other hand, a good collection can ward it off and inspires a degree of comfort in knowing that one has accumulated a store of something beloved.

One of the things that inspires collection is community. I have noticed this again and again. I like to research things before I get them and there is always a wealth of information on forums. Discussion is excited by fertile comparisons. Comparisons aggravate the imagination, lead to an acquisitive itch, and one can see people howling with desire on these forums. Listing their objects of desire and rationalizing their absence with self-denial, they are dying for someone to encourage them. To tell them that it has been worth the wait. That the day of redemption will indeed arrive on that awaited day of unboxing. 

Well, who doesn't love a good unboxing? There are many videos online and they are popular. It's like a strange kind of erotica. 

I myself dally in collecting. For instance, I like fountain pens. Why does one need more than one good pen? You don't, but there is something very satisfying about variety. One is firm, the other flexible; nib fine or medium...That kind of thing. And then too, you might have different inks in each pen. Besides, if you write a good amount your hand might get sore in a given position and then you can switch to a different pen. This variation can also prevent you from ever fully acclimating to any one pen. Thus, each time you use your favorites, the experience is novel and so fulfilling. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terry Cloth and Tombolo

I am sorry to ask but do you remember Juicy Couture? They made terry cloth tracksuits popular (amongst teenage girls and soccer moms) when I was in high school, but they were completely garish. I shudder when I think about those outfits. I do not blame terry cloth itself, however. No, I have come to love terry cloth. Think instead of the thick, luxurious terry cloth robes and towels that have whisked away all of the moisture covering you. Let these happier memories return because terry cloth is perfect for lounging around and there is no shame in that! And why not embrace the poolside chic of terry cloth? Well, I did, once I saw my friend's "terry towelling" Orlebar Brown polo . They aren't cheap but they are incredibly comfortable and well-tailored.  The image above depicts their homage to James Bond's Dr. No shirt, From Orlebar Brown's website : "Imitate Bond’s beach style with this Seaweed towelling polo, originally worn in Dr. No (1962) when he first

On Leisure: Part 1

I am never less at leisure than when at leisure, nor less alone than when I am alone.  -Scipio Africanus It occurred to me that it might be well worthwhile to define what I mean by leisure . First and foremost, I think of the quote above. This sense of leisure reaches back to the Greeks and the concept of schole , as in school . Leisure, or schole, is associated with learning, self-cultivation, philosophy, and freedom. In this sense, " Leisure is not the cessation of work, but work of another kind, work restored to its human meaning, as a celebration and a festival ."  This conception of schole is represented in the notion of a Sabbath, a time set aside for contemplation and reflection. In an article titled, "Learning and Leisure: Developing a School of Schole," Christopher Perrin writes:  " In 1948 the German philosopher Josef Pieper wrote a small book (about 130 pages) entitled Leisure the Basis for Culture .  Classical educators need this book.  Pieper does

E95s: Love at First Touch

On March 31, 2020, I ordered an E95s from fast japan us on Amazon. It never came. I was finally able to submit a claim and get a refund a little while ago. What did I do? I ordered another one from a different company but this time I went with Burgundy. I first encountered the E95s at Anderson Pens in Chicago. I love this store and try to go whenever I am in Chicago. They have a wide selection of pens and inks and their salespeople are very helpful. When I asked an attendant what was popular these days, she pointed out the E95s. Instead, I got a mid-size Sailor 1911 with a Zoom nib (but that is a story for another day). I made a note to myself to look into the E95s in the future. Well, today it arrived and I had no way of anticipating how much I would like it. One thing that I especially love is the beautiful balance of its design. The cap serves as the body of the pen, making the capped pen very compact. Pilot notes this rerelease is based upon an original 1962 design and reflects t